2012/09/23

Igor Tamm Monument in Kirovograd: the Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony of the monument to a Soviet physicist - the name of the event bodes yawn, doesn't it?Add to this a gloomy day, no sun and you realize it's better stay at home. I though the same, but after I forced myself to go there I didn't regret about it at all. It was quite entertaining!

Today was the day of Kirovograd, the Day of the City celebrated annually at the end of September, so the opening of the monument was to mark this day. Little, or better say nothing, did I know about Igor Tamm prior to the event so did other visitors I'm sure, but after some speeches I know enough about his life. In a nutshell, he was the Nobel Laureate in Physics and being a child he lived and studied in Kirovograd. He had passion for physics and after living low a larger part of his life and then getting big money, he donated a greater part of them for a good cause - for science.

What I liked the most is that all his relatives came to the event and said some words about Igor Tamm, it looked like listening to a first-hand information. Upon the whole, it was quite entertaining, with bandura music, dancing, interesting speeches and other attributes relevant to such type of event.

Here are some more pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment