2012/05/02

Kiev is the capital of Ukraine

"Kiev is the capital of Ukraine" is actually a funny expression which is very close to nearly every Ukrainian. Back in my times even the most poor pupil could say it in English because while studying at school we had to learn the topic about Kiev by heart. But first thing first, so Kiev.
Kiev is incredibly beautiful city! I traveled there with my family last year right this time on May Day. There was hot, not in terms of temperature but in terms of tourists - lots of them! I have never seen so many of them in one place. It looked like this
(on the Sofiyska square near the Sofiyskiy Cathedral)


However, they usually followed the planned rout so when we wanted to find a less crowded place we just needed to turn the corner.
Kiev is a nice place to travel with your kids even. There are very many playgrounds scattered around the city. They are everywhere, not far from Sofiyskiy Cathedral and even close to the House with Chimaeras and the President of Ukraine's office. We my two kids it wasn't very tiresome walking along the central streets.
As I have already mentioned Sofiyskiy Cathedral, this is the closer view on it:


(You see, there are tourist from different parts of the world)
I wasn't inside. First, it's not free of charge and it costs about $5 (for comparison you can have a nice dinner for that money) and second, there were very many people willing to visit it and I don't like crowds. But I like what was outside:
These are bandurysty - musicians playing on bandura, a Ukrainian national musical instrument. They sang Ukrainin national songs and wore as you can see Ukrainian national shirts - vyshyvankas - a linen shirt with crocheted ornament. You can pay and order the song (I saw one fella doing this) or simply listen to their singing for free. We spend there a quarter of an hour and could be more but for kids.
This place is beautiful, so I recommend to visit it. It is situated on Vladimirskaya Street, 24. In case you are hungry (better be!) there is a lovely, cozy cafe not far from it (Vladimirskaya Street, 38)

(This is not my photo, I took it from here)
"Shkvarochka" - they serve incredibly yummy meal! It's not a fast food which I don't like, there you can eat substantially: first, second and dessert. They serve Ukrainian national meal there borshch, though not every day.
Prices - affordable, I spend about $5 for a nice portion of meal and wasn't hungry for the rest of the day. This place is checked and I highly recommend it! The interior is funny, unfortunately I have no pictures of it. Next time I go to Kiev I'll eat there for sure, moreover it's located in the downtown, not hard to find.
It's only a tiny post about Kiev, don't want it to look like an endless one, so stay with me for more posts about this amazing city.

No comments:

Post a Comment