2012/05/20

Long Night of Museums 2012 in Kirovograd, Ukraine

Up to this day I hardly heard about the Night of Museums, but a couple of hours ago I discovered this is an incredibly great event! This post is going to be supersaturated with pictures and it won't still help to convey the atmosphere prevailing there.
In case you are not that obsessed with museums (like me), you probably don't know what this event mean, so briefly about it. This is actually the International Day of Museums, just like Engineer's Day or Miner's Day, which is celebrated around May 18. Once solemnized in unusual way when the museums and galleries stay open till late at night, it was good received by the public and became a solid tradition, a great one I may add.
So let's start.
I visited two museums, the first was Kirovograd Regional Museum of Art situated downtown. It has a web page at www.artmuzeum.kr.ua where you can see the building - ancient and beautiful. The second was Kirovograd Museum of Local Lore. Most of my time I spent inside and outside the first one:
Outside the museum there was a kind of fair: enjoy and buy what you like.

Fabric dolls. Those in Ukrainian costumes can be perfect souvenirs to bring back home from Ukraine.

Live music. I may add extremely loud but some songs and bands were great.

Painted souvenirs that can serve as a nice Ukrainian souvenir, too.

Close-up: tops and fridge magnets.

Amazing pictures. They are made of dry leaves & leaves craftily arranged in a beautiful pattern stuck between two glasses.

Pay attention to the lady on the right. I liked her necklace. It seems "peaceful": tiny fabric dolls holding hands in a friendly dance. I think it perfectly complements that lady's style.

Pottery

More ethnic stuff... and lady:)

This is a fabric bird, it's rough and smells of cinnamon! I was hesitating to buy it or not, but it's nice to have a couple of them actually. This cost 25 hryvnia, about $3 per a bird.

I stopped here and emptied my wallet. Homemade soap, body scrubs, shampoos and whatnot. It's impossible to describe that heady odor of apple, cinnamon, citrus, lavender and more and more.

Fabric toys made of socks. They are funny. Want to make one by myself (now I know how to do that)

More ethnic fabric toys, more Ukrainian souvenirs.



These silver girls with closed eyes (my fault) are statures. You could come and take a picture.

Inside the museum. There are very many pictures...


and statues.






Very old icons that you can also see in Orthodox churches here.

This was restored by not to the end just to see it's very old one.




Clay plates and other stuff.



Reeled dolls. There was also the step-by-step master class aiming to show and teach how to make them.




This master class was devoted to paper flowers. I even made one by myself:)

These pretty grannies tought how to make needle holder in a shape of a hat.

I turned back to take pics of the snowflakes I like most. These are not mine)

Make up.


Have long hair and don't know how to do it? Trust it in these ladies' hands they will braid it in a tricky way.

Funny hares made of socks. I badly wanted to take part in this master class but there were no more socks left when I came.

Flowers with a candy inside. Let call them candy flowers)

Egg painting.

Thanks to body art master class there were lots of people everywhere in museum wearing such tattoos.

Another live stature. She was the most still, those were too active.


The choir concert. There were many different concerts and presentations actually but I was lucky to listen to their singing. Amazing!


The rest of the pictures were taken in Kirovograd Museum of Local Lore. These toys were made by pupils from different schools of the city.



Liked this collage:) No need to translate it.

Maya the Bee made from rice, millet and buckwheat.

I liked this picture from the series, it is so true and realistic. By the way, not painted but drawn with a pencil. No varnish.


Funny clay Slavic gods.

A lot of them.
It was an amazing experience, I'm planning to visit such events annually. I think it will be great to spend it in other city one day. So, if you happen to come to Ukraine about 18 May you are welcome to visit any museum you like in any city you stay. Free admission!

No comments:

Post a Comment